The Alaska Region of NOAA Fisheries oversees sustainable fisheries that produce about half the fish caught in US waters, with responsibilities covering 842,000 square nautical miles off Alaska. The Alaska Region also works to ensure the viability of protected speciesprincipally marine mammalsand to protect and enhance Alaska's marine habitat.
In the News
- NOAA removes the eastern Steller sea lion from the Endangered Species Act list
Public Comment Periods
- Notice of 90-day findings on two petitions received to list the pinto abalone as a threatened or endangered species under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) and to designate critical habitat concurrently with the listing. Information and comments on the subject action must be received by January 17, 2014.
- Proposed rule to implement Amendment 102 to the BSAI Groundfish FMP. This amendment would implement a CQE program for sablefish in the BSAI similar to the existing program in the GOA and amend the IFQ Program for Fixed-Gear Commercial Halibut and Sablefish fisheries in the BSAI. Comment period through December 16, 2013.
- Notice of a request for a new information collection survey. This survey will collect information on seafood plant characteristics, ownership, operating costs, capital costs, labor, and revenue related to the processing of marine fish species. Comment period through January 6, 2014.
- Notice that Stock Assessment Reports (SARs) for marine mammals in the Alaska, Atlantic, and Pacific regions were revised according to new information. NMFS solicits public comments through February 4, 2014.
- Notice of availability of Amendment 102 to the BSAI Groundfish FMP to implement a CQE program for sabelfish in the BSAI similar to the existing program in the GOA. Comment period through December 31, 2013.
- Tips for Submitting Effective Public Comments